Monday, September 1, 2014

More Sweetness

At long last, I've decided it's time to write down the day's events, mostly because I don't want to forget some of the cute things Matthias has been doing lately!

I'm convinced he's in a growth spurt--he's been sleeping through the night all week and eating portions that are much larger than usual. After today I think his mind is also experiencing such a growth spurt!

Luckily Jon got home from work early today so he got to enjoy many of our little man's antics. At about 11:30, Matthias called to me from the window, saying, "Daddy home! Daddy home!" Considering he's "the boy who cried wolf" when it comes to Daddy actually being home, I told him he was being silly and that Daddy might be home for supper. Then I heard the basement door shut and realized that it hadn't just been wishful thinking on Matthias' part!

In some ways he really takes after Jon. I'm finding this to be mostly a good thing, especially when it comes to cleaning up his toys. Tonight before bed he took all his toy equipment from the stairs and tucked them out of the way by the piano, saying, "night night" to each piece of equipment. I didn't even have to ask!

However, Jon regularly claims to have OCD. I tell him that OCD is a real condition that can be quite debilitating and that I doubt he is actually afflicted with it. Sure, Jon may have the overwhelming urge to say a word in a "New Joizy" accent if he hears me say it, and he may drive around the yard a few times occasionally so that the mileage on the vehicle "looks right" when it is parked, but what I'll call his "quirks" are far from serious.

I caught a glimpse of Jon's "quirks" tonight with Matthias. He insisted on taking his own socks off at bed time, and wanted to know where to put them as the laundry hamper was downstairs. I showed him the spot on the floor and he took off his first sock and laid it neatly on the floor. When he took off his other sock it was crumpled. He immediately went to his other sock and crumpled it up so that it matched the other sock. I almost cried with laughter.

Shortly afterward he decided that he must be feeling a little shaggy, for he grabbed the clipper from under the sink and took it to Daddy, declaring, "Haircut. Haircut!" He was satisfied when we told him he'd get one in the morning, and put the clipper back in its spot.

Matthias is also becoming quite a polite little man. He now says "Dee-doo," (Thank you) at almost every opportunity, and reminds me to say it, as well, when he gives me something. He greets people with a firm handshake, although when asked for his name generally smirks and says, "Outdoor," which is his nickname for his kitty Kermit. Oh, to be two.

Other than the sock thing, my favorite part of today came after nap time. He slept for two and a half hours, a little less than his usual three, and just wasn't ready to get up and face the world, so we snuggled for a half hour (bliss!!) in the chair. Snuggle time with Matthias is something I find particularly heavenly! He usually still enjoys being "cheek to cheek" with Mommy, and often showers my cheeks with kisses, although lately there has been an abundance of what he calls "kitty kisses," which are slobbery licks. Yuck! At least the cats have dry, sandpapery tongues!

I try to use our snuggle time, whenever I can get it, to remind Matthias how much we love him and how wonderful a blessing he is to us. There are some days when I feel like my threats of, "Mommy will give you a swat" put my parenting skills in the camp of the cigarette-smoking, pajama-clad woman at Wal-Mart cursing at her children. But then there are days like today, when it hits me that maybe he really does hear what we say and take it to heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay, I've changed it, and hopefully anyone can comment, so give it a whirl!