So, most people who know me will be inclined to ask, "who's the burlap greenie?" Certainly not the conservative Christian, gun-toting, meat-eating, tractor-loving girl that writes this blog! Well....every once in a while Jon feels like he needs to label me a "burlap greenie." Like...occasionally we go to a restaurant and I think the vegetarian dish sounds good (or the meat just looks too suspect to eat!). Or I become a member of a food co-op. Or I drag him to a food co-op if we're in a "big city," where we stick out like sore thumbs in our non-environmentally-friendly clothing and non-organic smell (read: freshly showered).
Jon's latest fodder for my "burlap greenie-hood" is my use of cloth diapers. I was on the fence, initally. My sister used them sometimes with her girls, and I had friends who used them sometimes. I thought I might try them every once in a while....until Matthias started leaking through pretty much every diaper I put on him or getting a nasty rash from the ones that didn't leak. Even with the "ultra absorbent overnight" Pampers, I was often awakening at midnight to a very sad little boy who had soaked through the diaper, sleeper, blankets and crib sheet.
At that point I'm not sure what actually got me to try cloth. I figured they'd be worse, much worse, than disposables. After all, they're made of cloth, right? I started doing research and found out they were just darn cute. I guess that was it. Who could resist putting their baby in an "Einstein" diaper?
Plus...(drumroll, please) I haven't had any leaks with any of the cloth diapers I have tried so far. Any!! That means none!! I finally got brave enough to try a cloth overnight when I was at my parents' house a few nights ago. Same deal. No leaks, and we had one of our best nights in a long time!! That was with a Rumparooz diaper. If you want to know what Matthias wants for Christmas, it's another Rumparooz diaper!! Gradually I am cycling through different overnight options for him, but so far Rumparooz or the above Einstein diaper (bumGenius 4.0 in Albert) are the winners.
Jon's not thrilled at the amount of time I have spent researching/talking/raving about/washing the cloth diapers. But I think he's coming around! :)
Yay for your Momma Matthias! We cloth diapered over here too and it was (usually) a great choice.
ReplyDelete