Thursday, August 16, 2012

Out-of-diaper experiences

So, last night was pretty good. Matthias finished gorging himself at 10ish, and I went to make Jon's lunch because I've finally figured out that it takes 2 or 3 trips to the crib to put his pacifier back in before he really, truly settles.

I didn't awaken until 3! Matthias had gone 5 hours without food! That was worth the rough evening of constant eating. He ate until about 3:30, switched sides, ate some more, and then began to poop. Now, you experienced parents are going to laugh at me for even thinking of changing him right away, but I had two things on my mind: getting back to bed, and not wanting to leave my child in his own feces for too long. If I went back to sleep hanging over the crib, that might have happened. So I decided to take the gamble. Poop roulette, really. Sure enough, the projectile poop came just as I had removed the old diaper,  but Grammy taught me such a handy trick that all of it still went into the diaper; crib and sleeper were left unharmed.

I quickly got the new diaper on. By this time Matthias was blissfully sleeping and let out a blissful, long toot. Well, dangit. I didn't want to turn the light on and wake him up, so I got to thinking of the old days at the Dakota Theatre (not "theater", also known by some as the "show hall. Gonna resurrect that term, I think. Anyway....). I'm sure my sister can remember Steve or one of the high school employees coming around with a red-tinted flashlight, flashing it at those hoodlums in the back row who were wearing caps, talking, had their feet on the seats in front of them, etc. I went and got my flashlight, and in movie-theater style did my inspection. "Any poop in there?" I whispered. None! I couldn't believe my good fortune as I went back to bed.....

and lay there. I couldn't get back to sleep! My 4 consecutive hours had so energized me that I couldn't get back to sleep! I started thinking of this blog post and of solutions to the problems associated with the oil field. Sometime around 4:30 I drifted off and dreamed I was with many of my high school classmates performing a dance routine for the Olympics, or maybe America's Got Talent.

Matthias slept until 6:30ish, when we repeated the routine from the middle of the night (the diaper routine, not the dance routine). This time the poop landed everywhere....mostly my hand, but also the towel and on him. I reached for a wipe and he began peeing. Speaking of which, Maria, how do you properly clean a Sleep Sheep? Not that any of your kids would have ever peed on him. Just wait for that. But when all was said and done, Matthias seemed to have enjoyed his out-of-diaper experiences, and cooed and smiled gleefully.
For your enjoyment, here's a random picture of Matthias from about a month ago.

1 comment:

  1. 1.) Absolutely I remember Steve with the flashlight at the theatre (note my correct spelling!)!
    2.) Pull out the noise machine part from the back of the Sleep Sheep; put him in a pillowcase; wash away!
    3.) You weren't around to witness my 5-year-old's aim when she was Matthias' age; she wouldn't have much on him, but she did darn well for a girl! Sleep Sheep has been wet before. :)

    ReplyDelete

Okay, I've changed it, and hopefully anyone can comment, so give it a whirl!