Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Wanted: Stinky Mommy

So, for the past 8 weeks I've been priding myself on how "easy-going" and just plain "easy" Matthias is. He is smily, sweet and loves to coo. He only cries if he's hungry, gassy, or has a poopy diaper. He loves books, stuffed animals, eating, music (specifically bluegrass and old country), riding in his swing, cuddling, eating, his bath, being kissed, eating, being tickled....phew! In this past week he has progressed to a refreshing 3-hour eating schedule. Last night he even went 4 hours! Wow, I say! I must have even gotten 8 hours of sleep (in increments) last night. Right now Matthias and I are having a gleeful conversation on the floor.

Why, then, does he also want to have a smelly mother? It's beyond me. You see, Matthias protests loudly whenever I hit the shower....and I mean loudly. I generally feed him, settle him in with Jon, and make a break for the soapy goodness and alone time. It's always about the time my hair is soapy with shampoo that I hear the first cries. Of course I know he just ate and that his daddy isn't pinching him, but I can't help but hurry up a bit. Maybe he is still hungry. Maybe...well, the only thing his dad can't provide for him is food. So he must still be hungry. To be fair, he is usually happy by the time I get out of the shower, but he has been crying, and that is something I never understood until actually having a baby--that if he is crying, he must be comforted immediately. His crying is actually both emotionally and physically painful to me! How marvelously God made us mothers to care so much for our babies, huh?

Anyway, he didn't do this when I left him with his dad so I could ride horse. He doesn't do this when I go do laundry and snuggle my cat downstairs. He only does this when I hit the shower, regradless of the time of day. So I can only conclude that he is a "back to nature" type who would rather smell his mother's armpits than her Bath & Body Works.

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to write something witty, but I think I got less sleep than you did last night :) So, I'll just go with: My nephew is hilarious in preferences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But it's so so true! I even kept a stinky yucky t-shirt of mine to toss in the crib with my babies when I escaped to the shower... I'm not sure it ever really helped, but I'd like to think I tricked them on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Jess, I did a similar thing when he was struggling to sleep in his bassinet. He always fell asleep next to me on the towel after I fed him, so I tried putting the towel I fed him on under him in the bassinet, since it was warm and likely smelled like me. I don't know if it worked, either.

      Delete

Okay, I've changed it, and hopefully anyone can comment, so give it a whirl!