Wednesday, August 29, 2012

When the lights go out...

I have heard of planned power outages before, and always thought it was a good idea that they're usually in the middle of the night. That was before Matthias!

It started when I woke up last night to pitch blackness. No clock, no light on in the hall, nothing. I felt disoriented, my north felt "west," etc. But Matthias was sleeping. I used to freak out if I woke up to pitch blackness, but thankfully that old anxiety has passed.

Then I heard the characteristic "uh, uh, uh" coming from his bassinet. "Shhhhh," I whispered (because that's about all I could say....I've been dealing with some laryngitis from the dusty harvest grain). Matthias persisted, until I opened the shade to let in some starlight and groped around to find him.  By now Mom had awakened and I had begun having difficulty attaching him to my "feeding apparatus" in the pitch darkness. Mom brought a welcome flashlight, and Matthias was able to eat.

He ate, and I took him out to rock in the living room so he could go to sleep. All of a sudden I heard a strange noise coming from him, and I was covered with spit up, along with Matthias' gown. Mom once again came to the rescue with a flashlight, and we got him changed.

Since he had spit up so much, I figured I'd better fill him up again. Matthias spit up again, but thankfully missed himself and me. I put him in his bassinet and settled in for a blissful early-morning sleep. Then I heard it. It wasn't a dry one, but a wet one. Moms, you know what I'm talking about. I wrestled with my conscience, thinking that it MAY have POSSIBLY been dry....but I supposed I should check. My hand met nasty wetness as I picked him up, and a flashlight to the bassinet confirmed my suspicions. Enter Mom with the flashlight, and we began changing him in the dark.

Unfortunately, Matthias had another out-of-diaper experience....and another. Mom held 2 flashlights and I attempted to wipe Matthias' entire back, up to his neck. But we ran out of wipes. (Did I mention the power was still out? No lights, no water, no wipes.) I used the meager amount of water from the spigot to wet a washcloth, threw the dirty changing pad on the floor, and continued to clean Little Guy. Then I stepped on the changing pad!! Mom and I erupted with laughter and got Matthias his third gown of the night.

It was 6 am by my timepiece when I finally got to bed. This was one of those evenings that I dreaded before I had children. How did it turn into something I would write gleefully about and laugh about in the morning? (although 6 a.m. used to be my "morning")

You're probably thinking that this blog should be renamed Adventures with Baby Poop or something. I find it quite apt a subject, considering little boys are generally amused by such matters, although I'm pretty sure it's not something I want to encourage. I guess I've got to get it out of my system now!

3 comments:

  1. I think the fascination with poop happens naturally. No encouragement will be needed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about how very funny an event is going to be when put into words on a blog... makes it a lot easier to deal with at the time. I love this! Years from now you'll be so glad you wrote it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember when you used to wish you could live a simple life on the prairie without the complications of our modern inventions. I'm guessing baby Matthias has made you rethink this and, for the most part at least, be glad that you are going through all of this in 2012
    instead of 1812. Thanks for sharing your messy morning.
    Love, Auntie Linda

    ReplyDelete

Okay, I've changed it, and hopefully anyone can comment, so give it a whirl!